The IGCP 521 2009 conference was held by a string of universities in Turkey as the fifth conference in a series of conferences for IGCP 521. These universities included Kadir Has University, Dokuz Eylul University, and Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University.
The IGCP 521 2009 conference paid special attention to:
(1) Geological processes and concepts of a wide range of sites in the “Corridor” to achieve a better understanding of global climate change, active tectonics on regional sea-level fluctuations, coastline evolution, the transformation of lacustrine to marine environment, eco- and sedimentary systems (including deposition of sapropels), and the history of human adaptation;
(2) The correlation of sea level changes in the “Corridor” with sea level changes in the Caspian Sea;
(3) Improving the standards of scientific research methods and techniques;
(4) Defining areas of natural risk (erosion, flooding) for proper environmental management; and
(4) Contribution to a complete database on bibliography, radiocarbon assays, archaeological sites, and artifacts linked to sea-level changes.